The rise of instant communication methods such as email, texting, Instant Messaging and social networks like Facebook, Myspace, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and more, explain the Millennials’ reputation for communicating through technology instead of face to face like us old timers.. Millennials not only grew up with these technologies, they literally wrote the book on them.
Because Millennials represent 25% of our population, real estate professionals can’t afford to ignore them. That means we have to learn how to not only attract them, but keep them engaged so they can hear our messaging. According to Nielsen “Over 85% of Generation Y Owns Smartphones”. So, how do you think they will find their first or next home? Yup.And the overwhelming majority of them will choose a video when this option exists.
Whether you are a seasoned video pro or just dipping your toe into the real estate video marketing world, there is a right way and a wrong way to “do” real estate video. This is especially true with regard to marketing real estate to Millennials. Here are some tips I’ve learned over the years for real estate video marketing to Milennials.
- K.I.S.S. If you are in the corporate world you may have mouthed the words “Keep It Simple Stupid” and you would be wrong. The first S is for SHORT. When marketing to Milennials your video marketing should be short. Their attention span is so short they will overlook a 5 minute video in search results and head straight for the 2 minute video. So would I.
- On Point. Your videos need to be on point, by that I mean, they need to get to the point immediately. This is not a generation that will wait for a real estate agent to build up to anything. “Hi, I’m Stephen and I am with RE/MAX, or KW, or C21 or whatever and I am on the “Awesome Team” and we sell more real estate than anyone in town and our clients love us and….” they are already gone. When marketing to Melinnials you literally have to get to the point immediately. I encourage our clients to ask a question to engage the audience and then move into the content “Are you ready to be a 1st time homeowner? Hi, I’m Stephen with the “Awesome Team” and today I’d like to discuss…..”
- Editing. You may have noticed everyone from your local news, Hollywood to Dateline and Reality TV have upped their editing style. No longer are shots drawn out and long. Now you’ll notice camera angles change every 3 seconds with flashing bursts of light followed by black and white followed by bursts of color and mixed in you’ll find some slow motion. This is done to keep the Milennial engaged. It may annoy the crap out of us 40 somethings but we are not there target audience – not anymore. Whether you are working with a professional videographer or editing your own videos your shots should be fast and not drawn out. If the consumer doesn’t get to the end of your video, where your call to action is – you lose.
- Music. Choose wisely. If you choose to use a background track in your videos, and you should by the way, that music should compliment your message. Choosing the wrong music will repel a millennial faster than DEET will a Mosquito. Choose something with a high beat per minute. If your making a listing video and you are targeting the Millenial, don’t be afraid to use EDM or even Dance music. The goal of the first few seconds of the song you choose is to get the viewer to the next few seconds and so on.
- Ask a Friends kid. Before you publish any video targeting Millennials, ask a friend, preferably a friend’s kid – the Millennial, what they think. If they are being honest they should be able to tell you if they like the video or if it’s OMG. They should be able to tell you if you violated one of the above rules. Listen for the “I Can’t Even…” hear that and you’re toast. Did they get the Gist of the message? What would they change. You need to ask. Speaking of Asking, there is someone you shouldn’t ask – the real estate agent in your office, your broker, that is your age. They are not your target audience so why ask them anything?
I’ve been saying it since 2008: There are two types of real estate agents out there. Those currently using video in their real estate marketing and those that will be, Real estate agents will be using video in their marketing because the consumer is demanding it. As you can see, there is a right way and a wrong way to use video in your real estate business. Every video you make will bring the consumer closer or push them further away. Unlike a postcard or flyer, the traditional real estate agents weapon of choice, a properly optimized, well done video can last forever. It’s important you do it right.
If you are a real estate agent in the Phoenix metro area, reach out, from our Cinematic HD videos to our green screen, lifestyle and community videos we have you covered. Oh and our guys are Milennaials 🙂
Video is perfect for communicating with Milennials. But not all video.
Below are some tips for communicating with Millenials through video.