With a new year comes new marketing strategies. I believe 2016 will be the year of video marketing for real estate agents. You’ll be using video in your real estate business not because its sexy (it is by the way) but because the consumer is demanding it. Today’s consumer would simply rather SEE than read. You’ve probably noticed you yourself are choosing more videos in your Facebook newsfeed than articles. Why? Because video is the way to be marketing real estate today.
According to a joint Google and NAR study, 92% of homebuyers use the internet to help them find their next home (87% use a real estate agent). This study stated the average homebuyer spends THREE weeks researching online BEFORE reaching out to a real estate agent. This is your opportunity to get found online by and engage with your ideal client. You can do this by talking about the things they care about by creating real estate videos using the best and most relevant real estate video topics.
You can’t afford to not be using video in your real estate business. The joint Google/NAR study revealed 85% of buyers/sellers want a real estate agent who has video marketing, yet nationally – only 15% of agents have a video presence. This creates OPPORTUNITY for savvy real estate agents that leverage video to market their properties, brand themselves and extend their reach.
Video says so much more than text ever could. Forrester Research found 1 minute of video equals 1.8 Million words which equals 3,600 webpages of text but unlike text, 80% of consumers will remember the video. Video will also help you do more business in 2016. A recent study by domain.com found video increases inquiries on real estate listings by over 400%. That’s LEADS not views. In other words, listings with video receive 4 times more activity than listings without video.
There are many benefits to using video in real estate but not all real estate videos are created the same. I started using video in my business back in 2008 when I was a sales exec for a national title company here in Phoenix. Today, I routinely receive calls, emails and Facebook comments/messages from real estate professionals inquiring about using video in their real estate business. Most of the questions involve real estate video marketing topics. So, to help you leverage video in your business I created a list of some of the best real estate video topics and why they are relevant. Enjoy!
Real Estate Video Marketing Topics
- Your Real Estate Listings (this should be a no brainer – see stats above). Note, you, the real estate agent should be IN THE VIDEO. This is a priceless marketing opportunity to align yourself with something the consumer cares about – the property. Your seller will also likely share the video with you in it, with their friends and family which is an endorsement of you and your services. See our cinematic HD video tours
- Real Estate Team Introductions. A short video bio about every member of your team and the role they play that helps the consumer. See the biopic about Hub Media Company
- Community or Subdivision Profile. Most women in particular know what community they want to live in next. We also identify with the communities we call home. They say something about us. Ask a homeowner where they live, instead of Via Linda and Mountain View, they’ll likely say Scottsdale Ranch. Consumers are more likely to search for Germann Country Estates or Scottsdale Ranch in Google or YouTube than 5 bedroom homes in Chandler or Scottsdale. This presents an opportunity to get found online by them as well as present yourself as the expert on the community. See our subdivision real estate videos
- Video Testimonials. Text testimonials are so 2014. Video testimonials allow potential customers to truly FEEL how passionate your past clients are about you and your services. They explain how you are different and/or better than other real estate agents, how you helped them buy and/or sell, which is a very compelling form of social proof.
- School Reviews. Consumers with children moving from another state will likely look for the top performing schools in an area and from there use that information to find a home within that school district. This presents a great opportunity to tell a story abut the best schools and their relationship to property values.
- Major Employers. Someone relocating to Chandler from Oregon to work for Intel will likely search for homes around Intel or communities near Intel 85248. Many others relocating to the area will likely want to know what major employers are in the area as well. This is a great way to introduce your brand to them as the expert in the area.
- Team Videos. What market(s) does your team serve? How is your team different and/or better than your competition? Why should a consumer choose your team? What’s your marketing plan? How long have you sold real estate? What are your awards? These should all be included in your team video. This video can then be embedded into your website, emailed to potential sellers, added to your email signature, distributed across Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google +, YouTube, Vimeo and more. See our Real Estate Team Videos
- Things To Do In… Every time my kids are on break they are bored. Their Nintendo Wii, Xbox One, iPads, bicycles, dogs, board games etc are simply not enough to keep them engaged <sarcasm>. Which ultimately leads me or my wife to Google “things to do in Chandler”. This is a great way to present yourself as the expert in the community.
- Market Update Videos. Once someone knows you are in real estate their first question is likely “Hows The Market?”. What they are really asking is “is my home worth more than last month/year?”. Before buying or selling those consumers – the ones that do 3 weeks of research online before reaching out to an agent – will likely research the market. This is a great way to get found online. The Market is not really the market by the way. It’s your market. The market does not have to be Phoenix or Chandler by the way, it could also be as hyper local as the market in a community or subdivision. Is it going up or down? How many homes are for sale? What are the days on market?
- Open House Videos. Are you doing an open house this Saturday or Sunday? Make a video invite a few days in advance that tells the consumer what they will see should they stop by and why they should. I’m not talking so much about bedrooms and bathrooms, thats the steak. I’m talking about the sizzle – the granite countertops, gourmet kitchen, stainless steel appliances, resort style backyard, amazing views, community features and more.
- HOA. What are the benefits of buying a home in an HOA? What about NO HOA? Speak on it. Tell a story. And of course, offer a current list of homes for sale in the area with NO HOA or on a county island.
- Horse Properties. Are you the horse property expert? Show me. Make a video all about the equestrian lifestyle. SHOW me all about it.
- Property Taxes. If a buyer is on a fixed budget, property taxes are a real concern. Growing up in NY, (very high property taxes) I heard the stories of seniors being foreclosed upon even though they had no mortgage. The reason, property taxes. So, what are the property taxes in Arizona? If consumers knew how much more home they could buy in Arizona compared to Florida, New Mexico, Nevada, California etc they may consider moving here.
- Local Builder Profile. What are the local builders in your area? Which ones do you recommend? Why? Do you like the FLEX design more or is it the NextGen home. By the way, what are those? Are any of the builders offering any concessions? Tell them about it and of course, offer a compelling reason for them to call you before they walk in to the local builder UNREPRESENTED
- How To Sell Your Home FSBO. I know, I know. You’re thinking why should I help a FSBO sell their home? Well, the chances of them selling are rather slim. So, tell them everything they need to do to sell FSBO. Maybe when you get to number 10 of the number 40 bullied list they will realize they would be better off hiring a real estate agent and in this case, why shouldn’t it be you? Especially after you tell them how much more money FSBO’s net when choosing a real estate agent. “Did you know The typical FSBO home sold for $210,000 compared to $249,000 for …”
- How To Choose The Right Realtor. How do you choose the right REALTOR®? What should a buyer or seller look for? Experience? Local market knowledge? Marketing plan? Number of homes sold? Awards and designations? You tell me…
- How NOT To Sell Your Home. I know this sounds weird but it works. When given the choice between how TO do something and how NOT to, 80% will choose the NOT to because of Fear Of Loss – what don’t I know? This is a great opportunity to show off your personality and knowledge in your video. “Here is how NOT to sell your home – don’t declutter it….” tell a story.
- Correctly Pricing Your Home. Why is it important to not overprice a home? What happens when you do? Tell them all the juicy statistics about final selling price when a home is correctly priced compared to one that sits on the market for 3-6 months. A wise man once told me “Time is acid to the price of a home”.
- Active Adult Communities. What are the active adult communities in your area? What amenities do they offer? A pool and spa are a given, what about the Pickle Ball and golf tournaments? The ladies billiards group, knitting, bocce ball etc. Show them all the things to do and tie in the awesome floor plans and communities.
- Guide To The Arizona Purchase Contract. Is the purchase contract in Arizona different than New York? Of course it is. Make a video outlining the things a buyer or seller should be aware of when buying a home in Arizona using the Arizona Purchase Contract. Does it protect the buyer or seller? Pointing out the things the consumer should know will help establish you as the expert without you having to say it – which consumer hate by the way. This video can be embedded into your website as well as emailed to out to potential buyers.
- Real Estate Terms. I often receive postcards and flyers offering me a free CMA. Luckily for me I spent 13 years in the title industry so I know what a Comparative Market Analysis is. But what if I didn’t? Make a video all about real estate terms – DOM, SPDS, GFE, Cure, C.L.U.E. Reports, Comps
- City Profile. Why is Chandler or Gilbert, Scottsdale or Mesa a great city to call home? Tell me all about the things to do, employers, schools, lifestyle, restaurants, local businesses, public transportation, the people, subdivisions, property values.
- New Construction vs Resale. Which is a better option, building a new home or buying a resale home in your area? Why is that? Do new homes have smaller lots? Are they in the outlying areas? Are resale homes less expensive?
- Closing Costs Who Pays What? What are the closing costs in your area? Who pays the inspections, real estate commissions, title insurance fees, transfer fees, HOA fees? What is traditional? Is it negotiable?
- Types Of Mortgages. Should a buyer use an FHA loan or conventional? Which is better to use in which market? What about VA? USDA? And while were at it – should you get a loan from your local Bank of America or Wells Fargo loan officer or should they work with your lender? What are the benefits?
- Public Transportation. Believe it or not, one of the features millennial buyers look for is public transportation, especially in bigger cities like New York, Chicago, LA, Phoenix. Is there Lightrail? A subway? Uber? Lyft? City busses? Where do they go? What is the frequency? Are property values along these routes growing? Why?
- Local Businesses. There is the economy and then there is the local economy which means local business. What are the popular local businesses in your area? Is there a Trader Joe’s? AJ’s, a favorite butcher? Restaurant? Align yourself with the business and show your expertise of the community by interviewing the owners/manager of your favorite local businesses. Help them market themselves which in turn, helps market you. Ask them to offer a 5% discount, free appetizer or dessert to anyone that mentions the video.
- Your Favorite Local Vendors. Have your years in real estate helped you identify the best local vendors? Of course they have. Tell the consumer about your favorite pool guys, landscapers, pest control, house cleaners, baby sitters, contractors, granite companies, plumbers, home warranty etc. Some of them may offer a free month of service to your database, a win/win/win!
- Walk Though Checklist. What should we look for when conducting our final walkthrough?
- The Builders Lender. Should we use the builders lender? Is it less expensive if we do or are we costing ourselves thousands of dollars?
- Homes in (insert zip code). Real estate is local, meaning hyper local. You can help yourself get found online by creating video content all about the homes for sale in 85248, 85286 etc.
- Expired Listings. Make a video for expired’s that explains why you believe their property did not sell and what you can do about it. You can acquire sellers email addresses from 3rd party vendors like Vulcan 7 or RedX.
- Seller Introduction Video. Make a video to send to sellers BEFORE you arrive for the listing presentation. This video should thank them for the opportunity to interview and SHOW them why you are different or better than other agents they may be considering. “I look forward to discussing our cinematic HD property tours and how they will help a buyer mentally move into your property, our state of the art website, our team that will be calling our database of buyers, open houses, professional photographs etc, see you soon”. That seller may be meeting with other agents but they will be thinking of you – promise.
- The Buying Process. What is the buying process in your area? What are the steps? Should a buyer get prequalified first? Why? What’s after that? What about the offer? What’s earnest money? How much should it be? What happens after contract acceptance? This video establishes your expertise and clearly sets you apart from other real estate agents.
- Buying or Selling Stage videos. Make a series of videos that explain every stage of the buying or selling process. If there are 10 stages, make 10 videos. Email them to your buyer, seller as they enter each stage. It should be YOU on video speaking to them. “OK, congratulations, your offer was accepted, here is what happens next…. we will be doing this and that. These video also serve to reduce the frequency of commission-ectomy’s. A seller is less likely to request you reduce your commission if they know everything you do.
- Remodeling vs Relocating. Which is better? Which costs less? Tell a story about your experience with both.
- Questions Your Clients Ask You. Of all the ideas above, questions your clients ask is by FAR my favorite video marketing topic. Most times real estate agents are trying to figure out what consumers care about. By making videos about questions they ask they are telling you. I’ve written over 3,000 articles, I’ve produced thousands of videos. Most of the ideas, including this one, came from questions my clients asked me. Keep a pad with you or use the notes section of your phone and write down EVERY question a buyer or seller asks and then when you have time, create a video on it for them and other consumers in other parts of the country or even world.
This is only 37 video marketing topics. There are literally thousands more. You are only limited by your imagination. Even better, a good video will be marketing you and your services 24/7 even while you sleep. Many of our real estate partners and an increasing number of sellers find us online because of the videos we’ve created. Some say, I like the video you make on 111th street, but I really liked the way you did that lifestyle video on 50th street. Often these videos were produced 6 months to a year prior. This tells me they, like your ideal client, are doing their research online BEFORE reaching out to us.
Once your real estate videos are completed you should embed them in your real estate website. You can choose to write a blog post about each video like this one or you can make a video library which houses all your real estate videos. Those links should then be shared on Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, Vimeo, Google Plus as well as emailed out to your sphere of influence. I recommend our clients who have team videos or “about us” videos save the YouTube or website link in a note on their smart phone that can be easily texted or emailed to potential buyers or sellers. Remember, 97% of text messages are opened.. #BAAM
This may seem like a lot of information, and it is. But we can help. This January we rolled out our Green Screen Package. You can come into our Tempe studio and read your script for the above videos and be on your way within an hour. We have everything – cameras, microphones, teleprompters and more. We will then deliver your professional, engaging and educational videos to you complete with lower thirds graphics, logos, contact information, music and more. Here is more info about our real estate green screen package. Questions? Ready to book your next video with us? Please fill out the form below and download our FREE Video Ebook.